Wednesday, May 14, 2008

I have a Dream

I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.

I have a dream today.

I have a dream that one day, down in Alabama, with its vicious racists, with its governor having his lips dripping with the words of interposition and nullification; one day right there in Alabama, little black boys and black girls will be able to join hands with little white boys and white girls as sisters and brothers.

--Martin Luther King, Jr., August 28, 1963 on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial, full text here.

I still have this dream. I still wait for us to achieve it. I can't believe we've made so much progress and still see race as so important. I don't understand why we categorize ourselves by race, I don't see why we have racial caucuses.

When an African American votes for Hillary Clinton, she's said to have sold out her race. If a Caucasian person votes for Hillary Clinton, he's said to be a racist.

Why? Isn't the value of the candidate's ideas far more important than the color of his skin? I won't vote for either of these people, because I'm fiscally conservative, and think they'll lead the nation to certain financial ruin. I don't care what gender or race they are. Shouldn't we be past that?

I'm not naive; I know racism still exists. It shouldn't, but it does. Still, when it comes to picking your presidential candidate, please vote based on their ideas, not genetics.

I still believe in Martin Luther King Jr.'s dream. I hope you do, too.

No comments: