Wednesday, July 2, 2008

The Real Independence Day

I'm flying my U.S. flag today in remembrance of the real Independence day. U.S. Independence wasn’t declared on July 4, 1776. The General Congress actually passed the motion to declare independence on July 2, 1776 and the printing of the Declaration took place on July 4, 1776. John Adams expected that future generations would likely commemorate July 2nd as our Independence day.

Sorry, John, we’ve forgotten. Well, most of us have. The concept of government by the people, of the people and for the people seems all but forgotten. We forcefully reminded our U.S. Senate last year, through calls, letters and e-mails, calling them to task for attempting to pass immigration legislation that 80% of the citizenry disagreed with. We need to do the same to remind them we'd like to utilize our domestic energy resources, a move they're presently blocking. The principles of government answerable to the people should be written in the hearts and minds of all citizens of this nation, whether their ancestors stepped off the Mayflower or they had their Oath of Allegiance and gained their citizenship yesterday.

So, today I’m flying my flag in memory of the rights I should have but only kind of do. We should have a tax structure that guards our private records from search and seizure. I should be able to carry a firearm in defense of myself, my family and my beloved nation if I so desire. I should feel that the money I do contribute to my government is going to good causes–causes we can all stand behind. Most of all, as I go about my day, I should feel free to do so with minimal government interference yet without fear from scofflaws and criminals.

Might we all remember the true spirit of independence and the real meaning of our Constitution is my fervent hope as I remember the beginning of this great nation this week. Fly your flag today, and remember what it’s really all about. Fly it Friday, too, and set off some fireworks. Of greatest importance, never let your elected official take you for granted or think you’ve forgotten what the brave actions of this nation’s founders really meant.

Happy Independence Day!

No comments: