Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Throwing The Shoe

I may not be keyed in to the deep cultural meaning of throwing a shoe at a head of state. They say it is a deep insult coming from an arab. I wouldn't know.

But one conclusion is totally inescapable. This story has traction over there. The thinly disguised glee, and the glee worn straight out in the open says one thing. All the crap we were told over the last several years about how we will be seen as liberators is merely propaganda. Whatever we were supposedly trying to accomplish over there didn't work.

I'm saying this from the point of view of someone who is inclined to support my government. I even supported this war on the cynical idea that we were going over there to increase the amount of oil that would make it onto the global marketplace.

I don't claim to know what the answer is, but I'm pretty confident in saying that the neo-conservatives don't have the answer.

1 comment:

Andrew said...

Evidently the people who are so in support of this action are al-Sadr enthusiasts.

However, I can see how the average citizen might have been very relieved to have been out from under Hussein's rule, then become angry as he or she watched the U.S. bungle the peace. Never having enjoyed democratic freedom, the security enjoyed under Hussein's dictatorship might look better to that individual than the ability to vote.