Saturday, January 24, 2009

How Republicans Can Reconnect with Independents and Win in the Northeast Again

Ex-Freakin-Zactly

Okay, this piece doesn't say all my exact feelings about how to reconnect with independents. But it covers a lot of ground that resonates with me.

I've done a lot of soul searching about why the Republican party has blown up in such an embarrassing way the last few years.

It's not just Iraq.

Check out the above link to a piece by John Avalon. It's a short read, and worth your time. I got it off a site called thenewmajority.com. I was searching for something I heard on NPR by David Frum. This is David Frum's new site, and it's stacked with a bunch of people who were Giuliani supporters in the GOP primary. It's a part of the GOP coalition that seems to reject the social conservative GOP more than I'm comfortable with.

1 comment:

Andrew said...

I mostly agree with the article. Thanks for posting it.

If repubs don't get back to fiscal responsibility, they have no reason to exist.

Social issues are mostly window dressing these days. We debate them but really don't change a whole lot about them.

So, really the choice now is:
Tax and spend (Dem)
Don't tax and spend (Rep)

I'd like Tax less and spend less. It's been a formula for economic health in the past, and provides a quicker way to help our situation.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/01/20/AR2009012003980.html?hpid=topnews