Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Sonia Sotomayor gets a lot of attention for all the wrong reasons

Mr. Obama's new Supreme Court nominee Sonia Sotomayor marks a new low in identity politics.

I don't care what gender or race someone is. I care how well they know the law, and if they'll make decisions based on solid legal principles and reasoning. That's all anybody should care about with regard to a Supreme Court Justice. We have dozens of ethnic groups in the U.S. We can't have a member of each on the Supreme Court, nor is diversity for the sake of diversity the right way to fill a court vacancy. Any good justice is capable of rendering quality legal decisions for the entire U.S. without respect to gender or race.

In fact, they're required to do so. According to Title 28, Chapter I, Part 453 of the United States Code, each Supreme Court Justice takes the following oath:

"I, [NAME], do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will administer justice without respect to persons, and do equal right to the poor and to the rich, and that I will faithfully and impartially discharge and perform all the duties incumbent upon me as [TITLE] under the Constitution and laws of the United States. So help me God.'' [Emphasis mine.]

I do not understand why people are so eager to continue the Balkanization of the United States, but I hope my generation does a better job of looking beyond skin color to a person's character instead of continuing to stomp on Martin Luther King's dream.

What's especially repugnant about the media's fixation about what color Ms. Sotomayor's skin is and whether she has ova or testes is that they're not reporting that she's really not all that qualified.

Follow up: Thomas Sowell, like many others, agrees.
2nd Follow up: Sotomayor believes individual gun ownership is illegal and protected by the 2nd Amendment.

4 comments:

Big Jay said...

Remember how ticked off everyone got when Bush nominated Harriet Miers? That should be the conversation we're having right now.

Andrew said...

I think the entire Congress feels like the California legislature did shortly after Schwarzenegger was elected in a landslide recall election: they can't oppose the new leader. To do so would be suicidal. I disagree. It's important that even if Sotomayor is confirmed, her lack of real qualifications and ability come out. Unfortunately, the news media seems unwilling to cooperate.

Big Jay said...

Actually, as much as I hate to admit it, Harriet Miers had much less experience. Republicans should still be beating the drum though.

Andrew said...

Harriet Miers would have been better than a racist (Sotomayor's comments about being a Latina making her more qualified to render decisions than a white male are clearly racist) who doesn't mind revising the Constitution to suit her agenda.

We'll never know, but if Miers is a constructionist, I'd have vastly preferred her to many potential nominees.