Tuesday, August 4, 2009

What Gates & Birthers Teach Us About Obama

Amazingly, both of these events teach us the same thing about Obama:
  1. Obama is incredibly arrogant, and,
  2. Obama is the quintessential community organizer
The arrogance is obvious in the Gates case, Obama jumped in without knowing the details. Even for the so-called "beer summit" he allowed this not-so-flattering picture to be taken (the police officer he accused of racism is the one helping his friend down the steps):



Obama wouldn't lower himself to dignify the birthers. He sees it as below him. Also, he was arrogant enough to jump into Gates' arrest even though he didn't have the details. Andy McCarthy points out that given the number of lies Obama has told about his past, it's not really that unreasonable to ask for it (though it's silly to spend as much time on it as people have):

Yet we now know that this life story is chock full of fiction. Typical and disturbing, to take just one example, is the entirely fabricated account in Dreams from My Father of Obama’s first job after college:

Eventually a consulting house to multinational corporations agreed to hire me as a research assistant. Like a spy behind enemy lines, I arrived every day at my mid-Manhattan office and sat at my computer terminal, checking the Reuters machine that blinked bright emerald messages from across the globe. As far as I could tell I was the only black man in the company, a source of shame for me but a source of considerable pride for the company’s secretarial pool. They treated me like a son, those black ladies; they told me how they expected me to run the company one day. . . . The company promoted me to the position of financial writer. I had my own office, my own secretary, money in the bank. Sometimes, coming out of an interview with Japanese financiers or German bond traders, I would catch my reflection in the elevator doors — see myself in a suit and tie, a briefcase in my hand — and for a split second I would imagine myself as a captain of industry, barking out orders, closing the deal, before I remembered who it was that I had told myself I wanted to be and felt pangs of guilt for my lack of resolve. . . .

As the website Sweetness & Light details, this is bunk. Obama did not work at “a consulting house to multinational corporations”; it was, a then-colleague of his has related, “a small company that published newsletters on international business.” He wasn’t the only black man in the company, and he didn’t have an office, have a secretary, wear a suit and tie on the job, or conduct “interviews” with “Japanese financiers or German bond traders” he was a junior copyeditor.


Now, think of Obama as a community organizer. Community Organizers don't solve problems, they aggravate them and then take advantage of them. Obama did that with Gates, trying to play the race card. He only backpedaled when it blew up in his face and even then didn't apologize. In the birther case, Obama hasn't found a way to exploit it. Letting it fester is doing the job for now, but if he's backed into a corner, he will use it somehow, just you wait.

No comments: