Friday, May 31, 2013

Will I have health insurance next year?

The ACA, also called Obamacare, was supposed to make healthcare more affordable and provide it for more people.  In looking at the anticipated results, I'm forced to wonder, will I have health insurance next year?  Here's the headline on Drudge right now:

Rate Shock: In California, Obamacare To Increase Individual Health Insurance Premiums By 64-146%

The article is from Forbes.  The problem I'm facing will be the same many middle-class families face next year:  will I be able to afford it?  Understand, I do fine in California, which means I have an income higher than average nationwide (because if you're earning the nationwide average in California, you're very likely in poverty here).  But that means I don't have a lot left over monthly.  I honestly don't know what I can give up when my health insurance premiums go up.  Unlike my neighbors on public assistance, I've already cut out things like cable television.  Internet access is a necessity these days, and it's really the only "luxury" I haven't cut off.

So what do I do when my premiums increase by almost 150%?  Unfortunately, I'll probably need to give up my own insurance and try to cover my child through California's program to cover minors.

Thanks, President Obama, for making my life worse in every way.

Post Script:  One possible solution will be to go see doctors who don't take insurance:   Maine Doctor Able to Slash Prices in Half After He Stops Accepting Insurance

No comments: